I endeavor to expand my knowledge, further develop my technical
and business skills, and to promote lasting, positive change in myself
and those I’m fortunate to work with.
Technical Skills and Experience
At a Glance
- 20 Years of Linux System Administration
- 15+ Years of Amazon Web Services / DevOps Engineering
- Over 20 years development experience (PHP, Ruby on Rails, C/C++, and more)
- Extensive technical writing and editing experience
Linux System Administrator and Engineer
I have administered Linux servers for over 20 years using technologies like Apache, Nginx, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Postfix, Dovecot, Squid, Varnish, Phusion Passenger, and BIND.
I’ve utilized Xen and OpenVZ virtualization technologies for over a decade and KVM for over 5 years. I know Linux on a deep system level and can write Linux kernel modules, system software, and create Linux distributions.
I have used and architected solutions on Amazon Web Services since 2007. I’ve scaled PHP and Ruby on Rails applications from a few hundred requests per day to millions of requests per hour. I’ve also deployed several production applications on Azure.
Windows System Administration
I have over ten years of experience administering Windows Server. I’m also quite proficient in Hyper-V.
Web, Desktop, and Server Software Development
I am a senior developer and software architect with over two decades of programming experience.
- PHP – Mastered with 20 years experience
- SQL (MySQL, PostgreSQL, and MSSQL) – Mastered with 20 years experience
- HTML/CSS – Mastered with over 20 years of experience
- Bash / Shell Scripting – Mastered with 20 years experience
- Ruby on Rails – Mastered with 15 years experience
- C# / .NET – Mastered with 10 years experience
- Python – Proficient with 10 years experience
- C/C++ – Mastered with 10 years experience
- Assembly (x86_64/i386) – Proficient with 10 years experience
- Visual Basic – Mastered with 10 years experience
- Perl – Good working knowledge with 4 years experience
- Rust – Intermediate knowledge with 1 year experience
- Lua – Working knowledge with 1 year experience
I am a published ghostwriter of technical textbooks and have been published in trade journals. I have also written numerous programming and system administration articles for various media outlets and websites, some of which have gone viral.
You can find a full list of my technical writing @ https://rwo2.com/technical-writing/.
OCS Solutions – CEO / President
1997 to Present
- Manage and consult with DevOps teams for leading Internet sites
- Consulting for multinational organizations, including Fortune 500 companies.
- Develop web solutions with a variety of platforms and programming languages
- Develop desktop and embedded solutions
- Patch, package, and deploy custom Linux Debian software for organizations
Cypher Learning – Senior DevOps Engineer
2009 to Present (Contract / Retainer Work)
- Created, supporting, and managing custom Amazon Web Services (AWS)
server infrastructure handling high-volume requests from millions of users in
organizations around the world.
- Architected DevOps workflow for rapid development and deployment of
complex Ruby on Rails applications
- Administering and optimizing clustered large MySQL databases
- Diagnose complex technical issues related to load balancing, database
connectivity, Linux system process management, Apache, nginx, and Phusion
- Maintaining custom AppImages and system packages for support software
- Monitor, scan, and construct remedies for Linux system security issues
- Created and supporting scripts and programs to facilitate scaling, monitoring,
and system health reporting
- Documented technical processes and procedures
2010 to Present (Contract / Retainer Work)
- Maintaining a large Ruby on Rails application, including upgrading it from
Ruby on Rails 1.x to 4.x
- Wrote custom PHP application facilitating psychological assessments
- Construction and maintenance of company WordPress website
- Maintaining Linux servers
- Languages – English (native), Spanish (intermediate), Portuguese (limited)
- Amateur Radio – General class FCC license operating on HF, VHF, and UHF+ bands.
- Creative Writing – I am a published author of over five (soon to be six) novels. I’ve also collaborated with an edited other author manuscripts.
- Music – Piano, Trombone, Drums, and occasional Acoustic Guitar